A garden is a love song, a duet betweena human being and Mother Nature.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Division - Gardening on the Cheap



This past summer I purchased four humongous ferns for $4.50 each, at the grocerie store of all places. I needed something to make the pots of sand that anchor my canopy look good. And at that price I just couldn't pass it up.

As you know I have been working like crazy on propagating and seed collecting to expand my plant population at our home. The four ferns turned into 12 for next spring. I went to Low's again and they had the coconut lined planters for a few dollars each. I paid between $2.00 and $3.00 and got the ones you see here. The ferns are in my basement now...we have a threat of frost, so in they came.

So why am I going so nuts with all this free and awesome buys...well, we don't know if we are going to inherit or be able to buy the house from the estate at this point. And I am a person who has to garden. So If I cant put it in a pot to take with me, it has to be something I am willing to leave behind.

Another little cheap plant hint for southern gardeners...keep an eye out for Jonquils (daffodils) to go cheap. You can still plant them even after the first frost. As well as many other fall bulbs.

Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment